Pronunciation of Abate
/ɐbˈe͡ɪt/, /ɐbˈeɪt/, /ɐ_b_ˈeɪ_t/
Antonyms for abate:
dilate, build, mandate, ratify, order, compound, establish, snowball, distend, extend, legitimize, prescribe, endorse, grow, mushroom, blow up, protract, rage, intensify, authorize, magnify, incite, appear, pass, found, develop, enhance, raise, beef, aggravate, legitimate, continue, sanction, burgeon, swell, legalize, permit, advance, rise, clear, show up, supplement, heighten, emerge, prolong, approve, validate, balloon, command, lay down, warrant, enlarge, foment, annex, soar, accumulate, lengthen, decree, inflate, expand, complement, formalize, allow, legislate, amplify, mount, increase, win, institute, boost, enact, tack, forward, elongate, wax, revive.
Usage examples for abate:
- First the storm seemed to abate, and then it began again with redoubled violence. - "Bob the Castaway", Frank V. Webster.
- An appeal by a member of a subordinate lodge from a vote of expulsion does not abate by his death while the appeal is pending. - "Putnam's Handy Law Book for the Layman", Albert Sidney Bolles.
Rhymes for abate:
- great, prate, waite, tate, gate, pait, state, plait, aydt, fete, sate, wait, fate, crate, rate, pate, gait, straight, streight, skate, eight, kate, grate, slate, fait, hait, freight, nate, cate, plate, speight, strait, spate, late, hate, taitt, wayt, trait, mate, date, rait, tait, ate, weight, bate, chait, bait;
- est, restate, innate, await, create, gestate, lightweight, dictate, postdate, elate, debate, equate, deflate, prorate, dilate, misstate, estate, relate, negate, conflate, belate, oblate, translate, kuwait, ornate, update, predate, collate, tri-state, reflate, sedate, berate, upstate, irate, inflate;
- intrastate, desecrate, overweight, solid-state, interstate, procreate, silverplate, conjugate, reinstate, overrate, underrate;
- recriminate, remunerate, interrelate, demodulate;