Pronunciation of Oak
/ˈə͡ʊk/, /ˈəʊk/, /ˈəʊ_k/
Synonyms for oak:
amphitheater, arena, assembly hall, auditorium, barn, boards, cinema, coliseum, concert hall, deck, drama, footlights, hall, hippodrome, house, locale, movie, movie house, opera house, playhouse, room, scene, site, Odeum, drive-in, show hall.
acacia, alder, almond, apple, apricot, ash, aspen, avocado, balsa, balsam, banyan, beech, birch, breadfruit, butternut, cashew, cassia, cedar, cherry, chestnut, citron, coconut, cottonwood, cypress, dogwood, ebony, elder, elm, eucalyptus, fig, fir, gum, hickory, ironwood, juniper, larch, laurel, lemon, lime, linden, locust, magnolia, mahogany, mangrove, maple, mimosa, mountain ash, mulberry, orange, palm, papaya, peach, pear, pecan, pine, poplar, quince, redwood, rosewood, sandalwood, sequoia, spruce, sycamore, tamarack, teak, tree, walnut, weeping willow, willow, yew.
Usage examples for oak:
- Fortunately, it was oak, and did not break. - "The Boy Hunters", Captain Mayne Reid.
- We drew the deer, and in hanging them upon a small oak tree, I pressed a yellow- jacket with the middle finger of my right hand. - "Out of Doors--California and Oregon", J. A. Graves.
- An immense oak stood at the edge of the forest. - "David and the Phoenix", Edward Ormondroyd.
- An oak of green gold.... - "Plays by Chekhov, Second Series On the High Road, The Proposal, The Wedding, The Bear, A Tragedian In Spite of Himself, The Anniversary, The Three Sisters, The Cherry Orchard", Anton Chekhov.
- Close by the great oak, in a lonely spot, he found the flat rock, and under it was the cave where once a bear had lived. - "The Curious Book of Birds", Abbie Farwell Brown.