Pronunciation of Shielding
/ʃˈiːldɪŋ/, /ʃˈiːldɪŋ/, /ʃ_ˈiː_l_d_ɪ_ŋ/
Synonyms for shielding:
Other synonyms and related words:
aegis, assure, auspices, blinding, bond, bound, buckler, buffer, bury, care, careful, charge, circumscribe, clothe, coating, comprise, conceal, concealing, confine, confinement, conservation, contain, cover, cushioning, custodial, custody, defence, defense, detention, disguise, dissemble, eclipse, encase, enclose, enfold, ensconce, enshroud, entertaining, envelop, enveloping, envelopment, fencing, fender, fostering, guard, guardian, guardianship, hedging, heedful, hide, hiding, incrustation, incubate, insurance, insure, invest, involve, jealous, justification, keep, lee, look after, masking, nursing, occultation, overhanging, parental, partitioning, patronizing, plating, pledge, possessive, preservation, preservative, preserve, preventive, prophylactic, protect, protected, protection, rampart, safe, safekeeping, safety, sconce, security, shading, shadowing, sheathing, shelling, shelter, shield, shrouding, sorting, submerge, testing, tutelary, underwrite, upholstery, veiling, vigilant, vindication, ward, watch over, watchful, withhold, wrap up, wrapping, wreathe, Advocating, Blanketing, Blazoning, Cloaking, Harboring, Insulating, Jacketing, Riddling, Self-defensive, Vindicating, Wardship, Winging, cover up, Convoying, Curtaining, Propugnation, armoring, sieving, harbouring, hostage, self-protective, immunizing, armouring.
guarding, securing (adjective)
custodial, preservative, Conservational, safeguarding, more conservational, more covering, more custodial, more emergency, more guardian, more insulating, more protecting, more safeguarding, more shielding, most conservational, most covering, most custodial, most emergency, most guardian, most insulating, most protecting, most safeguarding, most shielding, more sheltering, most sheltering.
unduly protective (adjective)
answering, arguing, averting, barring, covering, defending, opposing, protecting, returning, saving, screening, supporting, Barricading, Fending, Policing, Rebutting, Replying, Resisting, Responding, Retorting, Securing, Sheltering, Warding, Sustaining, upholding, countering, safeguarding, backfiring, buffering, counterattacking, guarding.
Usage examples for shielding:
- By a skilful placing and shielding of the lamps, the lights were thrown broadly where they ought to be, on faces and draperies, leaving the gauze wings of the angel in such obscurity that they just showed as it was desired they should. - "Melbourne House", Elizabeth Wetherell.
- Father is well known; they won't suspect him of shielding you; and in the meanwhile you can slip out easily; we'll send your luggage on. - "The Heart of a Woman", Emmuska Orczy, Baroness Orczy.
- Her hand was shielding her eyes, and as she strove to fill the gaps in their somewhat spasmodic conversation with the trivial impersonal things that belonged to their old intimacy, the tiny flickering flames seemed to be darting unfriendly fingers plucking at her secret. - "The Valiants of Virginia", Hallie Erminie Rives.
- She had one knee up, one leg stretched out, one forearm shielding her eyes from the sun, one arm down at her side. - "Voyage To Eternity", Milton Lesser.
- " I'm afraid," said Ferris, with the air of one shielding a friend, " I can't tell you anything about him." - "Winston of the Prairie", Harold Bindloss.