Pronunciation of Skate
/skˈe͡ɪt/, /skˈeɪt/, /s_k_ˈeɪ_t/
Antonyms for skate:
Synonyms for skate:
bouillabaisse, chowder, eel, filet, fillet, fish.
Other synonyms and related words:
anchovy, bank, Barndoor Skate, barouche, barracuda, bass, beach, berlin, binge, blade, bloater, bloke, boot, bouillabaisse, boy, break, bream, brill, brougham, buck, bust, calash, caleche, chap, chariot, chowder, chute, cleats, clog, coach, coast, coelacanth, come down, creep, crock, crowbait, curling, dab, decline, default, defile, dogfish, drag, eel, equipage, fall over, fellow, filet, fillet, fish, flit, float, flow, fly, galoot, gent, gentleman, glide, gliding, glissade, gray skate, guy, hack, hockey, honeycomb, jade, jaunting car, landau, landslide, little skate, man, nag, navigation, parachute, phaeton, plane, plug, race, ray, rip, roll, roller skating, runabout, sail, scalawag, seacoast, seashore, seaside, shark, shore, sideslip, silversides, sinuate, skateboard, skating, ski, skid, skim, sled, sleigh, slide, slide down, sliding, slip, slither, slump, snowshoe, soak, soar, sociable, sports equipment, stingray, stream, sulky, sweep, swoop, tacky, tear, thorny skate, tinker, toboggan, transparency, victoria, villain, vis-a-vis, weed, whisky, wreck, Brogues, Clarence, Dandi, Dooly, Kibitka, Rackabones, Tilbury, Vettura, Wagonette, Araba, Curricle, clodhoppers, COD, blading, rollerblade, skates, snowshoes, Birkenstock, crosstrainer, screw, drunk, scallawag, make one's way, wend one's way, sail along, roller-skate, turn-out, roller skates, britzka, ice-skate, glide on skates.
Sense 1 (noun)
older man (noun)
dodge payment (verb)
fall; glide (verb)
glide along without much effort (verb)
glide over quickly, lightly (verb)
move smoothly; move down (verb)
move smoothly and quickly on a surface (verb)
Usage examples for skate:
- That's the best skate I ever had! - "Patty's Social Season", Carolyn Wells.
- I shall not skate. - "Amy Herbert", Elizabeth Sewell.
- Amy was eager to learn to skate, and Webb found his duty of instructor delightful. - "Nature's Serial Story", E. P. Roe.
- He therefore restrained himself, and in person drew the refuse- pail from under the stall and dropped the skate into it. - "The Fat and the Thin", Emile Zola.
- You may skate every day until the snow comes. - "Peter and Polly in Winter", Rose Lucia.
Idioms for skate:
Rhymes for skate:
- grate, fate, gate, great, spate, straight, state, hait, waite, nate, wayt, cate, slate, gait, chait, strait, mate, bait, sate, weight, plate, tait, plait, prate, streight, eight, aydt, rate, kate, date, trait, ate, wait, late, freight, hate, tate, fait, taitt, pate, speight, rait, bate, pait, fete, crate;
- equate, debate, inflate, create, berate, kuwait, relate, prorate, oblate, predate, postdate, collate, estate, conflate, gestate, abate, elate, negate, translate, dictate, restate, update, upstate, innate, belate, sedate, est, ornate, dilate, irate, misstate, reflate, tri-state, deflate, lightweight, await;
- overweight, interstate, underrate, solid-state, desecrate, reinstate, conjugate, intrastate, procreate, silverplate, overrate;
- remunerate, demodulate, recriminate, interrelate;