Pronunciation of Spy
/spˈa͡ɪ/, /spˈaɪ/, /s_p_ˈaɪ/
Synonyms for spy:
Sense 1 (noun)
Sense 2 (noun)
Sense 3 (noun)
Sense 4 (noun)
person who secretly finds out about another's business (noun)
agent, detective, double agent, emissary, espionage agent, foreign agent, informer, investigator, lookout, mole, observer, operative, patrol, picket, plant, secret agent, secret service, sleeper, spook, spotter, undercover agent, watcher, Intelligencer, inside agent.
secret agent (noun)
counterspy, double agent, espionage agent, intelligence agent, mole, observer, operative, peeping tom, spook, watcher, wiretapper, Intelligencer, Mata Hari, undercover man, counterintelligence agent, secret-service agent.
secretly follow, watch another's actions (verb)
case, discover, examine, eyeball, glimpse, look for, meddle, notice, observe, peep, pry, reconnoiter, scout, scrutinize, search, shadow, sleuth, snoop, spot, stag, tail, take note, trail, view, watch, take in, RECON, fish out, stake out, set eyes on, catch sight of, get a load of, keep under surveillance.
Usage examples for spy:
- Then, when he got back, Villiers told me that Charter had talked to men- all the things that his spy had learned. - "She Buildeth Her House", Will Comfort.
- To tell the truth Tom had quite forgotten the supposed spy that had attacked him the night before. - "Tom Swift and his Electric Locomotive or, Two Miles a Minute on the Rails", Victor Appleton.
- A half- hour later, when the spy was ready to set out, the stranger had disappeared. - "A Boy's Ride", Gulielma Zollinger.
- A man may be a spy for love of his country. - "The Amazing Interlude", Mary Roberts Rinehart.
Rhymes for spy:
- my, gae, ply, gyi, lxi, buy, psi, spry, chae, fae, by, brye, cai, pye, bi, flye, try, high, kai, fly, ngai, sigh, pie, ai, pri, dry, dai, hi, sly, shai, vy, aye, pry, sri, bligh, guy, sy, sci, tie, kwai, frye, pae, ly, sai, phi, fi, vie, sky, chi, shy, wy, hy, nye, eye, vi, wye, mei, ty, lye, sty, lie, nigh, thai, nie, phy, chai, keye, tai, fye, wry, tsai, jai, rye, wai, pty, fry, ay, tye, bae, kyi, yie, die, lai, thigh, thy, tae, bly, bye, why, cy, cry, dye, pi, mai;
- goodbye, hi-fi, nearby, comply, july, dubai, supply, kanai, standby, apply, retry, iwai, awry, deny, imply, brunei, defy, bonsai, mcfly, alai, rely, descry, good-bye, reply, shanghai, belie, bye-bye, whereby, versailles, uy, untie, thereby, mihai, imai, hereby, decry, ally;
- overfly, resupply, underlie, misapply, dui;
- cspi, isty, oversupply;