Pronunciation of Ensue
/ɛnsjˈuː/, /ɛnsjˈuː/, /ɛ_n_s_j_ˈuː/
Synonyms for ensue:
start to happen; come to pass (verb)
appear, arise, attend, befall, come after, come up, derive, develop, emanate, eventuate, flow, follow, issue, occur, proceed, result, stem, succeed, supervene, turn up, turn out, be consequent on, be subsequent to, come next, eventualize.
turn out, come from.
Usage examples for ensue:
- But I can prevent the consequences which you hoped would ensue. - "Traditions of the North American Indians, Vol. 3 (of 3)", James Athearn Jones.
- On the other hand others held it to be nothing new at all, but simply the application of the old principle that injunctions could issue in cases where irreparable injury might otherwise ensue. - "Contemporary American History, 1877-1913", Charles A. Beard.
- Besides, there is danger, if our troops were withdrawn before a peace was conducted, that the Mexican people, wearied with successive revolutions and deprived of protection for their persons and property, might at length be inclined to yield to foreign influences and to cast themselves into the arms of some European monarch for protection from the anarchy and suffering which would ensue. - "Complete State of the Union Addresses from 1790 to the Present", Various.
Idioms for ensue:
- ensue from sth;
Rhymes for ensue:
- hugh, koo, tew, goo, ru, ku, pooh, rue, mew, grew, flue, hu, hoo, loo, leu, flew, strew, lu, stu, shrew, boo, clue, due, hou, wu, pew, knew, chou, chu, glew, flu, dru, shu, thru, sue, u, que, who, hew, joo, new, fu, blew, bleu, moo, two, hue, mu, chew, too, lieu, thuy, shew, blue, shoe, lew, q, kew, gue, liu, prue, tue, coup, ewe, gu, skew, zoo, crew, rew, thew, pru, douwe, vue, yue, poo, drew, siew, nu, woo, kyu, foo, yoo, phew, pou, du, through, shoo, zue, zhou, chiu, pugh, brew, phu, ooh, coo, slew, spew, true, qu, screw, cue, trew, cou, hsu, zhu, pu, do, yu, coups, lou, vu, threw, jew, yew, few, glue, stew, su, lue, uwe, whew, gnu, ju, xue, jue, crewe, sioux, doo, you, hewe, queue, soo, xu, tu, dew, view, beu, ou;
- fondue, unglue, anew, construe, outgrew, bamboo, ado, tattoo, accrue, into, withdrew, peru, zanu, review, debut, cebu, renew, kwangju, untrue, perdue, canoe, outdo, larue, babu, adieu, ague, pursue, mchugh, urdu, shampoo, purdue, reto, kazoo, ragu, c2, tatu, undo, askew, undue, fitzhugh, wahoo, eschew, abou, baku, revue, m2, subdue, taboo, imbue, redo, miscue, liou, leroux, cat-2;
- isu, iou, kangaroo, byu, overdue, misconstrue, hitherto, overdo, timbuktu, depardieu, suu, overthrew, katmandu;
- hullabaloo, kalamazoo;