Pronunciation of Sedate
/s_ɪ_d_ˈeɪ_t/, /sɪdˈe͡ɪt/, /sɪdˈeɪt/
Antonyms for sedate:
heated, ruffled, stimulate, indecorous, mad, balmy, frivolous, wacky, unhinged, noisy, uptight, lunatic, nonsensical, witless, violent, jittery, jumpy, preposterous, raging, fatuous, furious, wild, unstrung, anxious, joking, disturbed, unsettled, unstable, worried, unwise, flip, jocular, perturbed, loud, turbulent, nervous, discomposed, frenzied, kittenish, brainless, skittish, jerky, restless, bothered, frantic, hilarious, uneasy, agitated, stormy, sappy, flippant, uproarious, annoyed, indelicate, Weak-minded, lighthearted, loony, jesting, insane, lively, high-strung, daft, screwball, troubled, cockeyed, Daffy, cuckoo, unglued, tense, goofy, senseless, unquiet, asinine, flustered, passionate, kooky, fierce, excitable, nutty, distressed, absurd, dotty, half-witted, zany, crazy, excited, upset, foolish, light, wrathful, facetious, energise.
Usage examples for sedate:
- The delicious unvexed country- talk soothed Rhoda, and she looked fondly on the old man, believing that he could not talk on in his sedate way, if all were not well at home. - "The Complete Project Gutenberg Works of George Meredith", George Meredith.
- Rather sedate, I remember, for a girl." - "Rose MacLeod", Alice Brown.
- Little Sir Louis, evidently awed by the sedate grandeur which sat so well upon the visitor, paused a moment as if uncertain how he ought to behave. - "The Dew of Their Youth", S. R. Crockett.
Rhymes for sedate:
- fate, waite, plate, nate, grate, spate, aydt, great, prate, hait, fete, bait, trait, eight, speight, rate, pait, sate, weight, skate, kate, slate, plait, date, pate, straight, cate, gate, tate, state, taitt, strait, crate, tait, rait, hate, chait, freight, late, mate, fait, streight, ate, wayt, bate, wait, gait;
- est, estate, create, debate, equate, kuwait, dictate, irate, deflate, abate, translate, oblate, update, dilate, inflate, negate, upstate, innate, berate, reflate, predate, belate, elate, ornate, prorate, tri-state, relate, await, postdate, conflate, collate, restate, misstate, lightweight, gestate;
- overrate, intrastate, conjugate, silverplate, reinstate, solid-state, procreate, underrate, interstate, desecrate, overweight;
- recriminate, demodulate, interrelate, remunerate;