Pronunciation of Genteel
/dʒ_ˈɛ_n_t_iː_l/, /d͡ʒˈɛntiːl/, /dʒˈɛntiːl/
Antonyms for genteel:
illiterate, boorish, rugged, barred, bluff, outlawed, uncultured, arrogant, banned, unrefined, unintelligent, proscribed, heedless, mean, presumptuous, seedy, junior, illegitimate, ordinary, unlettered, provincial, lower class, conceited, unfashionable, pretentious, philistine, unrespectable, callous, awkward, rude, unprocessed, lippy, insulting, tacky, ill-behaved, unacceptable, uneducated, uncivilized, shabby, casual, vulgar, Interdicted, raw, unsatisfactory, gauche, forbidden, polyester, grungy, ungraceful, backwoods, knavish, untaught, blunt, unsophisticated, rough, intolerable, rustic, indelicate, prohibited, Clodhopping, subordinate, untutored, brusk, degraded, plain, shameless, ignorant.
Usage examples for genteel:
- None of the girls in this school here had a divorce in their families; and, if you'll believe it, they acted- some of them- as if it was a disgrace, even after I told them good and plain that ours was a perfectly respectable and genteel divorce. - "Mary Marie", Eleanor H. Porter.
- He owns three stores in Bridgetown, lives in very genteel style in his own house, and is worth from twenty to thirty thousand dollars. - "The Anti-Slavery Examiner, Omnibus", American Anti-Slavery Society.
- They were men of genteel appearance and modest behaviour. - "The History of the Rise, Progress and Accomplishment of the Abolition of the African Slave-Trade, by the British Parliament (1839)", Thomas Clarkson.
Rhymes for genteel:
- seal, creel, riel, skeel, peale, beal, eel, neel, he'll, deel, reel, real, steele, feel, veal, scheele, smeal, teel, heel, peel, kneel, deale, teall, niel, beil, kiel, teale, weil, shiel, gilles, keel, neill, teal, seel, steel, ciel, mele, peele, cele, heal, neile, leal, neale, meal, zele, zeal, beale, she'll, deal, we'll, neal, wheel, steal, squeal, neall, neil, diel, spiel, beall, peal;
- emile, macneal, abele, o'neill, corneal, savill, unseal, brasil, macneill, surreal, repeal, adriel, ideal, verrill, puerile, ferrill, o'neal, reseal, anneal, mcneal, unreal, mcneil, ordeal, oneal, nevil, cecile, congeal, appeal, lucile, camille, conceal, reveal, emil, mcneill, shaquille, morrill, lucille;
- averill, villarreal;