Pronunciation of Build
/bˈɪld/, /bˈɪld/, /b_ˈɪ_l_d/
Antonyms for build:
scatter, stop, complete, disperse, compress, knock down, overthrow, contract, wreck, weaken, shrink, abridge, demolish, decrease, degrade, divide, dismantle, lessen, die, conclude, diminish, decelerate, neglect, finish, curtail, destroy, take down, shorten, hurt, ruin, end, separate, mind, raze, lower, condense, reduce, overturn, halt, discourage.
Synonyms for build:
Sense 1 (noun)
add to, assemble, block out, bring about, carpenter, carve, chisel, compile, contrive, devise, double, erect, evolve, fashion, forge, hew, model, put together, raise, rear, sculpture, throw together, throw up, weave, put up, step up, knock together, go through the roof.
Sense 2 (noun)
Sense 3 (noun)
Sense 4 (noun)
Sense 6 (noun)
Sense 7 (noun)
Sense 8 (noun)
Sense 9 (noun)
physical structure, form (noun)
construct structure (verb)
assemble, bring about, carpenter, cast, compile, compose, contrive, engineer, erect, evolve, fabricate, fashion, forge, form, make, manufacture, model, prefabricate, produce, put together, raise, rear, reconstruct, sculpture, set up, synthesize, throw together, throw up, put up, Superstruct, knock together, fit together, jerry-build.
increase, accelerate (verb)
initiate, found (verb)
lay the foundation for.
establish, base on.
Usage examples for build:
- Go and build your church! - "Peccavi", E. W. Hornung.
- Let us, in fact, build a house in a tree. - "The Magic Pudding", Norman Lindsay.
- Now, Gotch, I'll build you a cottage. - "The Honour of the Clintons", Archibald Marshall.
- The wealth which should build up society will pull it down if its possession lead to fatal luxury and indulgence. - "Modern Society", Julia Ward Howe.
- There is no hope for Spain but to sink her deep under the earth, and build a new Spain on top. - "Spanish Highways and Byways", Katharine Lee Bates.
Idioms for build:
Quotes for build:
We started a movement... to build character, citizenship and confidence in young people.– Andrew Shue